How to get into Historic Formula Vee Racing

Historic racing at any level evokes passion, power, excitement, nostaligia and camaraderie. In what other sport will your fellow competitors lend you a hand, be it time, equipment, parts or expertise, to fix your car and have you and it ready to compete against them in the next race.

Every participant will have their own unique perspective on how they want to engage in Historic racing based on financial, time, car preference and skill levels. The following information is intended to help you get on your way to enjoying the thrills of Historic Formula Vee racing.

What should I do first

If you've never seen Historic Formula Vee racing, we recommend that you attend a couple of Historic Formula Vee race meetings, which you can find details on these meetings in our Race Calendar.

Take a look around the pits and introduce yourself and have a chat to the competitors to get an idea of what is involved and what F-Vee would be suitable for your budget and abilities.

We're an approachable bunch and don't mind stopping to have a chat to a prospective new member/competitor!

Join the HFVAA

Once you've decided to get into Historic Racing and you think Formula Vee is the right mix, join the Historic Formula Vee Association of Australia (HVFAA). You can join as an associate member to start and then become a full member once you get set to start racing.

To Race you need to be a member of a CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsport) affiliated n motorsport club. And why not join and support the club that's going to help you get into Vee's.

You can find the membership form in the forms and Rules section of the site or download here.

Read up on the rules

Historic Formula Vee is made up of Vee's raced prior to 1985. These are divided into two classes Pre-1975, classics like Renmax, Elfin MK1, Stag, Revell, Nota and Nimbus and 1975-1985, Elfin NG, Avanti, Renmax MK2, Mako, Stand Fast, Malmark, C.M.S, Geneer, M.J.M, Concept, Kingfischer, Trowbidge along with many more.

The cars have to remain in period, as raced in their day. 1200cc engines are allowed to have modification made as per the rule set in each class. The basic difference between groups is chassis design. Having said that, the early cars are just as quick as the newer chassis, as witnessed by the race results.

You can click on the Rules and Forms link to the rules for either 1975 or 1985, which apply to both categories.

Get your license

This can be a little bit horse before the cart, but best that you know that you can actually obtain a race licence.

If you are new to motorsport, you will need to attend a lecture, organised by the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS), outlining your responsibilities as a competitor, flags and safety, also, you will need to pass a medical examination at your doctors. The medical standards can be found here. License applications forms can be found here. Or simply visit the CAMS webstie.

OLT (Observe Licence Test)

You need to do an OLT, which is basically a CAMS approved team of officials who will observe your skill level as you drive around a track. OLTs are the one thing that hold you up so keep an eye on the Race Calendar for OLT drive days to help you plan. The other option is to attend a driver training school with an approved CAMs OLT test instructor. This is the expensive option, however you get track tips and advice as you spend the day with the instructor.

You will need to apply for a PCC licence, which requires you to display a "P" plate at the rear of your car. While you are a "P" plater, you will be observed by the clerk of the course during each race, who will sign off your licence after each meet,to deem you competent. You will also be required to man a marshal point to "wave the flags" at one other open race meeting, after which you can apply for an unrestricted CC racing license.

Along with your licence you will receive a CAMS Manual of Motorsport, this document outlines Historic Formula Vee concerning you and your car in competition.

Buy a vee

Check the Classifieds section for available Vee's. Contact the club and spread the word that you are on the hunt. A lot of good cars change hands from word of mouth.

Be sure to check that the Vee you buy is eligible to be a Historic spec car. Look for things like a log book, C of D and year of manufacture. Don't discount a Vee without a C of D, as with a little work some Vee's can be bought up to spec reasonably easy.

More info on log books and C of D can be found on the here. Or simply visit the CAMS webstie or click here.

Race equpment

You need stuff, make sure it's right.

Read your new CAMS motorsport book and make sure you get the correct apparel. It will be an expensive day if you turn up at a race meeting to find that your car or race apparel does not conform to defined technical specifications. The scrutineers could decide that you will not be allowed onto the track until the non-conformance is fixed!

You'll need to remember that your apparel and Vee will be subject to an inspection at each event, so it's necessary that everything is in order. If in doubt ask one of our friendly committee members or other club members to help you get sorted.

Enter a Race

If all is well with your Vee, club membership and Cams racing license, enter your first event and away you go. Don't forget your license, log-book, CofD and sealing sheets.

The HVFAA want to help you enjoy your racing and hope you enjoy joining our club. If you have any questions, please contact us via the contacts link.